Lawyers for Empire actor Jussie Smollett, who was accused of lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack, say all the charges against him have been dropped.
The announcement comes following an “emergency” court appearance in Chicago, according to US media.
Smollett, 36, who is black and openly gay, had been accused of hiring two men to help stage an attack in the early hours of 29 January.
Police and prosecutors had said he made a false report because he was unhappy with his pay on Fox show Empire, and wanted to promote his career.
In a statement on Tuesday, his attorneys Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes said his record has now “been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint against him”.
“Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on 29 January,” they said. “He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.
“Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions. This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion. That is wrong.
“it is a reminder that a victim, in this case Jussie, deserves dignity and respect.
“Dismissal of charges against the victim in this case was the only just result.
“Jussie is relieved to have this situation behind him and is very much looking forward to getting back to focusing on his family, friends and career.”
A spokeswoman for Cook County prosecutors did not immediately respond to messages requesting comment.
In his report to police, Smollett said he had been attacked on his way home from a sandwich shop, by two masked men who shouted racial and anti-gay slurs. The men poured bleach on him, beat him and looped a rope around his neck, the actor said.